Abuja, March 10, 2017(TNE); Contrary to claims by Labour, the Federal Government says it has not foot-dragged in raising a tripartite committee to deliberate on the proposed N56,000 minimum wage for Nigerian workers.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, said in a statement in Abuja on Friday, that it was false to say government had stalled the process.
Ngige said his attention had been drawn to publications in some sections of the media, accusing the Federal Government of intentionally stalling the process of constituting a tripartite committee for the minimum wage.
“The above statement is false and misleading as the Federal Government has demonstrated its commitment to improving the welfare of the Nigerian workforce by holding series of meetings with stakeholders on the subject matter.
“The final meeting of the technical committee on the new minimum wage was slated for 23rd February, 2017, but could not hold as scheduled.
“The Nigeria Labour Congress and its counterpart, the Trade Union Congress, requested for a postponement of the meeting.
“This was in order to attend the delegates’ conference of the National Union of Civil Engineering Construction/ Furniture and Wood Workers (NUCECFWW), at Asaba, Delta State,” he said.
He explained that in demonstration of government’s commitment, a new date for the meeting of the technical committee on minimum wage has been scheduled for March 14, in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF).
The minister said that the new date had been communicated to both the government and workers’ representatives.
Ngige, therefore, said the allegation as ascribed to the NLC President, Mr Ayuba Wabba, was `”mischievous and unfounded”.
“The NLC President is fully aware of the rescheduled meeting and the reason for the postponement of the earlier meeting which was at the instance of labour unions,” he added. (TNE)