Abuja, Dec. 7, 2017 (TNE) The Federal Government says 3,250 Nigerians have so far been repatriated from Libya in recent times, even as 300 other Nigerians are now to be repatriated from that country on a weekly basis.
Charge d’Affaires of Nigeria in Libya, Mr Illiya Fachano, who made this known in Abuja, said government will continue to make efforts to save trapped Nigerians in Libya.
“We, the embassy of Nigeria in Tripoli, Libya, have been doing our best to register Nigerians. We have visited the detention camps, and also collaborated with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to repatriate migrants weekly.
“We also ensure that we are up to date with the number of Nigerians in specific detention camps. I want it to be clear that the mission and Nigerian government have been doing this long before the CNN report.’’
“We have asked the Nigerian presidency to provide us with an extra airplane to assist with quick repatriation of registered Nigerians who are willing to return. I want the public to know that we have some Nigerians who are not willing to return despite the unfavorable situations and the fact is that we can’t get them on the flight without their consent.
Fachano said that the the repatriation exercise will be a continuous one.
He said that the government will continue to engage the legitimate government in Libya and other stakeholders in addressing the plight of Nigerian migrants in that country.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry has urged citizens to reach the Nigerian Embassy in Libya for assistance through these emergency numbers: +218910144487, +218925099384 and +218917953365.
The contact email addresses for the embassy and the ministry are: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ministry said that the embassy has received requests for intervention from some relations of the victims based in Nigeria through these contacts.